My Dress My Choice

Lucia Musau

This week have been deeply saddened by what has been happening all over the country. Grown up folks who could even be fathers ganging around women and stripping them naked on the streets! In the name of being ‘indecently dressed”?

So my first question was and still is who and what determines “decent dressing”?

In our modern times, the only standard for choice in dressing is and has to be personal. You may compete with prevailing choices at any given time among a given group but you can only be judged on the choice itself and not as someone who is rightly or wrongly dressed. It is true that the way that you act and the way that you look determines what others will think of you. But that is where the buck stops.

Chapter Four of the Kenyan Bill of Rights (Rights and Fundamental Freedoms) is very clear: Every person has the right to freedom of expression, which includes freedom of artistic creativity as fundamental. And in the exercise of the right to freedom of expression, every person shall respect the rights and reputation of others.

I wonder what drives these moronic men to such actions, is it male chauvinism which has continued to penetrate in our societies or just plain stupidity? We are in 21st century and thus can not continue to allow such actions! So today I join in :My Dress My  Choice campaign in a bid to highlighted these vices

I rock my little mini dress with no apologies whatsoever after all my dress my choice!  (Dress Suit made by my lovely designer friend Sarah (+254 722 604899) call or text to get yours) More details below but first some more photos…

IMG_6530

Lucia Musau

Suit designed and made by: Sarah +254 722 604899 (Call/Text)

Bag: Anairam Samot

Shoes: Backyard Shoes

Neck piece: Jane Beads

Photography: Gabriel

118 comments

1. Jul Juls says:

Kampuni Kubwa in what way? What have the women done to the extent of being stripped naked? Why should we always think of what pleases the men but not of what pleases us? She felt comfortable in it…way to go!

2. Florence Mukabi says:

Omg I love that you brought this up Lucia . When I was in kenya 2012 the first time I brought my daughter to meet her great grandparents and extended family we went to a historical landmark bare in mind I have grown up here since age 4 and my siblings were all born in the UK right so as a family we are enjoying only to have hundreds if not thousands of men whistling and screaming that if we choose not to dress appropriately they will come and tear off our clothes. I’m here with my 1 year old my my 9 year old brother and 14 year old sister and our parents, it was so bad armed guards had to escort us into a car. What were we wearing? A dress with a leso and shorts. This traumatised my siblings and they are put off Kenya for life it’s so sad and yet the Kenyans there were happy to see all the muzungus walking around in shorts because their white. What currency were we spending when we were there?! British Pounds. So disappointed in my home country that time. We haven’t returned since and no plans to to be honest

3. Chris Abode says:

The dress is really good, except that it is a bit SHORT.
    I believe in freedom of expression. Public dressing should however take cognisance of the sensibilities of other members of the community.
    After all, we are one small family; here to protect one another.
    Fine dress, but!

• fisi says:

Protect each other? By getting into other peoples business? Dictating how they should wear? If one is concerned about how a woman is dressed, they should probably talk to their children, and teach them to wear sack cloths.

4. Shadrack Angwenyi says:

True dat! Who is to judge if someone is indecently dressed. I’m sure these over zealous men who seem determined to ensure decency is maintained in society are just mere perverts without any true cause of intention. They are hopeless losers who just want to humiliate women who are out to express their true self. I don’t stand or tolerate these losers and hope the full cause of justice finally catches up with them cod they are just hopeless cowards.

5. Obus Opute says:

@Kampuni Kubwa I am appalled and shocked at your statement!
    No body, male or female, should ever be treated this way.
    People like you and Robert Alai should think very carefully before making such statements, however justified you may feel. At the end of the day, there’s no justification to sexually assault and strip a woman of her clothes because of your opinions ( and that is really what it is). What constitutes scantily clad or indecent dressing? If a man had been walking down the road in shorts and a “see through” vest, would he have been attacked? We see men walking about topless and no one bats an eyelid.
    I tell you as a man this is pure sexism and it is absolutely unacceptable.
    There is a law against indecent dressing, and believe me, this young lady did not even come close to being indecent- and this is the law of the land.
    For her sins she was wearing a tee shirt without sleeves. Whether she was dressed provocatively or not is a non issue- She was well within her rights as a citizen of Kenya to dress as she liked ( as long as she dressed decently as defined by the law). Anyone who doesn’t like that can petition to change the law or ignore it. If it bothers you so much and you can’t do any of the above, there is still an option to jump into the Indian Ocean.
    Ps. All the attackers caught on camera need to be identified and persecuted.

6. Kampuni Kubwa says:

I think that as progressives at at times people fall into the “naive trap” in this particular case assuming that everyone else is progressive. Personally I fault women for those who were born and raised in kenya you know that the first person to comment on your clothing/dressing is your mother echoed by your mother’s friends and neighbors. You will often hear wear something decent am not raising slots or in church that’s a husband snatcher jus cause of what some wear. I must fault women mostly in part women are their own worst enemies case in point the masaku 7’s all over social media it was women slandering and throwing the biggest stones when the pictures came out. Of topic example when shebesh was kiderod who defended him and shouted she got what she deserves. Second I watched the video over several times and my question is who came to her aid? Men or women . Where we the women? This is a Facebook and Twitter campaign what are the thousands of females on the ground saying, she got what she deserves. Until there’s a unified response/stand it’s a lost cause. U as progressives cannot condemn such actions while there’s another team of married, insecure, and or conservative crowd cheering on. It’s sends a mixed message. The men who did this have sisters mothers and wives i would assume as men wether we like it or not we are greatly influenced by the female relationships around us . If they around convertives what do you expect. Understand that am not saying what happened is right all am trying to put across is that this are the consequences of a society that is progressive on social media but not schooling women at the grassroots

7. Gracee Karimi says:

Thank you soo much Lucia, i mean i no longer rock my high low skirts and dresses and pants simply because i am threatened to be stripped down as i a walk in the hood. I dont rock them to seduce anyone, i just feel so fly like that. I just feel the dressing points is hurts the wrong party it should only be about me not u. Control yourself if looking at my bear skin arouses u. It hurts me alot that i can’t be me at home yet beyound africa they appreciate choco me.

8. Dharma Gal says:

Kampuni Kubwa take two seats. Also, have 5 buckets of Shut Up on my bill. People like you should not be allowed to breed! You are a sorry excuse of a human being. What’s the yardstick of measuring decency? By whose standards? Is it a subjective or objective test? Why do we use choice of dress to excuse a few men who have no self-control or are too idle that all they see in a woman is sexual? Nkt

9. Dharma Gal says:

10. Kampuni Kubwa says:

Mweshimiwa muriuki and dharma gal am not sure wether you were making a claim or just trading insults. Of which either way you are yet to justify or support comment with a sensible argument. The intent of this forum was not for name calling or so I assume. Dressing in a short skirt for the next two weeks will change nothing , #dressasifeel campaign on social media is only a bandage solution that will pass just like let our #letourgirlsgo that solved nothing. The idea is not to forcibly wear what maybe perceived as scanty till its accepted but to change the mentality and mindset of fellow women which will in effect a greater change in the greater society as a whole which is a permanent solution

11. Kampuni Kubwa says:

12. Martin Kinyua Kungu says:

This is al bullshit…why cant everyone live his/her life….insults r nt remedy of anythin…a person choice shud be respected….wear mini or the akorino type its ones life …mwenye amevaa mini mikono juu….yeah its ur life…90% of men love mini…only 10% kanyari driven men condon it…

13. Martin Kinyua Kungu says:

14. James Gitumbi says:

Kampuni Kubwa, its hard to discuss anything without resulting to insults with a person who feels its okay for other men to strip and assult his sister or his mother because doesnt approve of how they dress. That is a psycopath’s view of life. I really hope you dont breed.

15. James Gitumbi says:

16. Adeline Mukwamugo says:

It is so sickening to see a group of idle men using a woman’s dress code as an excuse for their own lack of self control. Men dress as they please and pee anywhere like the dogs they are. It is time for women to fight back. I just watched a video of a woman who was wearing pants and they stripped her and some were just eager to assault her with their hands. Sick disgusting uncivilized bustards. Instead of wasting your time looking at my dress how about you go make something of your pathetic life!!!!!

17. Kampuni Kubwa says:

James gitumbi Boss instead of getting emotional and letting it cloud your judgment get rid of the bias created by the first statement. Use it to contrast the ideas and presentation of the follow up argument. I’m african by birth and the major reason I feel tuko nyuma is because in arguments, debates , and forums we listen/read to respond not to understand the other persons point of view. Resorting to name calling doesn’t resolve the real problem and the real issue is there needs to be a change in mentality. We can have loud shouting matches all day but until we influence a fundamental change in mindset of our women at the grassroots for they are the greatest force that can change the tide of societal injustices. Otherwise you will be making bandage fixes and changing nothing

18. George Kirui Mras says:

@ Kampuni Kubwa….I totally agree with your arguments. If we view the occurances objectively maybe then we’ll get some solution but I can bet 98% of women will vote down some of the ‘dress code’ suggestions of the so called ’21st C’. When the Kenyan dress code was being designed I saw lot of ‘decency’ widely accepted. So to the insultive women out there ‘you still remain your worst enemies’

19. James Gitumbi says:

Kampuni Kubwa, the problem is that you think its the mindset of our women that needs to be changed. They are not the ones assulting people. They is no reason whatsoever for anyone to assult anyone else because they disagree with their lifestyle choices. Mob mentality never solves anything. What did those women learn? Nothing. At the end of the day, its about respect of individuals right to choose. And if someone elses choices dont gel with yours and you are sufficiently insulted by them. There are better ways to deal with it, like maybe going to court and suing them , or pressing your elected representatives to change laws that adress the dress code. When has violence ever solved anything?

20. Sheila Shee says:

All those devils who did that need sleepless night’s full of misery** one word for them, they will never have peace in there entire miserable lifes….they don’t deserves to have any woman in. Their cursed life’s..idiotic actions

21. Raphael Njuguna says:

Am so saddened by this, feeling disgusted. Why on earth would you strip a girl? Why can’t county government organise the city, plan the traffic and matatus. Why have so many hooligans screaming all over town? Why can’t leaders condemn this. It’s look “just an incidence” but so much about what is coming.

22. Kampuni Kubwa says:

James gitumbi if you have a chicken farm and the chicken start disappearing or dieing you dont respond be adding more chicken you first of all identify the root cause. After understanding the underlying problem you fix it otherwise you’ll keep loosing your chicken. I find it hard to believe that the people undressing the girl don’t have female influences that are backward thinking or conservative generally not accepting or critical of such forms dressing. Women influence men more than you can imagine and such ideas either verbal or passive are transferable and sticky, most likely you had a mboch, aunt or older sister female teacher. When they were critical of other women’s dressing you took it in. Better yet do you just want to tell me that this guy’s just went rogue without any female backing or support or influence

23. Evelyn Chepkoech Chep says:

I also don’t get it fine she was dressed indecently ama you say she showed part of her body, now when you strip her naked will that cover the part that was showing or you will just be making thing’s worse? Tafakari hayo

24. Josphat Kamau Kimani says:

!!!!!!!!!!ENDING YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!! 1. Do you Reside in Nairobi or its environs? 2. Are you aged 18 years +? 3. Do you have Basic Computer and Internet Knowledge 4. Do you have a University Degree, Middle College Diploma/Certificate, or still Pursuing your Degree/Diploma? 5. Are you able to Work under Minimum Supervision? 6. Can you access the Internet at least 2 hours/day on a PC or Mobile Phone? A New International ICT Company is looking for 28 People to join its Team of Affiliate Marketers to Work Part/Full Time and Earn between ksh. 5,000 to ksh. 10,000 PER WEEK via Mpesa. Interested? Kindly send your DETAILS, (Official Names, gmail address, Current Location, & Level of Education), via SMS to: 0720389391

25. Claudia Kahindi says:

Some Kenyan men are colonized to the core! Your grandparents never had clothes and now you are really stripping women who are at least covering their privates and more than that! Shame on you idle, barbaric and uncultured men

26. Kevin Keegan says:

Some idler and maybe ex convict almost striped a lady in a ferry as we cross the ocean. Mind u the lady dress was down to the knees and she had stockings but some backward fellas wanted to do this heinous act. Shame on them.

27. Samuel Kimathi Muriithi says:

Looking fabulous my dear. If sexually immature idiots had their way you wouldn’t be able to grace the streets of Nairobi in that piece of art you call an outfit.

28. Samuel Kimathi Muriithi says:

29. Abeid Freeman Kange says:

Yes! We have the freedom to dress the way we like but we must beware lest somehow our liberty become a stumbling block to our brothers or sisters. The way you dress will make your brother or sister commit adultery and fornication(In Mind). A Person must dress in a manner that reveals/manifests God to the world and in a manner that does not make a brother or sister sin. Any part of female’s breast is a breast and breasts are private; they must remain private thus well covered/dressed. But i see our ladies exposing the, all in the name of fashion. Female thighs are private and they must remain private thus decently dressed. A thigh starts from the knee. Keep your private body parts only for your husband to enjoy, be sexually enticed and satisfied. They were created only for your husband not for every male. Lets not use this ‘Fashion or Swag’ thing as an excuse.

30. Juli Williams says:

By all means women…wear what makes you feel good about yourself. Who defines modest dress? Mini skirts can be worn tastefully and it appears this is the case. Never accept responsibility for the actions of another, we make our choices just as the men who disrespect these women. When they are stripped they are showing more body parts than when dressed so how is that helping? Let’s not justify a wrong with personal values and moral flexibility.

31. Musuko Haji says:

Backward men who strip women in the street should know that your days are numbered.Brotherly Love demands that we cover our naked brothers not expose them further.Very idiotic behaviour.Who is paying these goons.

32. Nancy Muyoka Wafula says:

I concur with you Lucia that’s just but frustration by those idlers. As a matter of fact men sag, put on tight jeans I have never had women stripping them naked for indecent dressing oh please let those men deal with the real issues.

33. Amos M. W. Kamau says:

I’ve 4 dotas n my advice to them is demonstrations r carried out with mob psychology, but u carry ua body singularly with dignified psychology.
    If u attract the wrath of stripping mob, the demonstration mob will only act after it is all done. The choice is YOURS.

34. Leah Kimata says:

Freeman Kange- a lesson or two about what freedom actually means may serve you well! Let me ask you this….. In the garden of Eden were we not naked? Committing sin cannot be justified by “how she dressed or how she acted” but how you reacted to her! Your perversion is what would only drive you to strip her naked….. Touch and fondle her in public and then tAg it teaching her a lesson. In the old days did we not only wear a loin clothe? Freedom is a choice….. It’s a state of mind and righteousness is regardless of what you see around you.

35. Kampuni Kubwa says:

@james gitumbi If people are poor you don’t give them money you teach them away to fend for themselves for lasting change you change the mentality of the people who have the greatest influence to society the rest will trickle down

36. Eric Maison says:

This is bad taste! If the men are so concerned about women and their modesty then stripping one naked is worse than dressing provocatively. Rather they should be covering then up in public not stripping.

37. Mathenge Leo Hybrid Gwandaru says:

i think the young women of kenya and any one else should don anything and anytime…this hooliganism should stop

38. Tina Hood says:

No one has a right to strip anyone. Why can’t they close their eyes or look away. This men are either sexually frustrated or just want to see a naked woman. Come to Europe and see worse. PERVERTS!

39. Tina Hood says:

Derrick’s Tei its not a case of provoking anyone. A woman has a right to dress in whatever makes them feel good. A research was done a while back and actually showed that most women dress to outshine other women not for men.

40. Pam Carlson-Ogren says:

OMG … Be careful … Have a companion … I know you have every wish for this to stop, but don’t be a martyr to prove a point where no point can be proven … My heart is concerned about all of this.

41. Tei Derrick's says:

Seeing the real clip of this, no one would want their sisters , mothers or anyone to go through. Please play your part to avoid this kind of madness happening again.

42. Obus Opute says:

Everyone has an opinion on dress codes (and rightfully so).
    The problem is that I keep reading about how women dress provocatively and therefore are asking for trouble. In this life that we live in, people will always rub you the wrong way, either with words or actions. How we deal with these encounters is what is most important- that shows our nature and tells everyone who we are, it teaches our children how to behave and respond when faced with similar scenarios.
    I will say this again: No one deserves to be assaulted, beaten up or raped (male or female) just because of the way they were dressed.
    The truth is that people just don’t care any more for each other. If you saw a woman scantily dressed, wouldn’t it be better to call her aside and tell her that a non condescending manner that she might hopefully find acceptable.
    The way that we behave tells of our true nature. You expect dogs to behave like dogs and cats like cats. If God was a lion, people cannot expect to be called children of God if they behave like rats.
    There will always be deviant people for different reasons but if we can’t be tolerant with each other, then what hope do we have?

43. Moses Musyoka says:

FOR THOSE WHO PASSED IN THEIR NURSERY MATTHEMATICS……………..!!!!!!
    do u know how many hours you waste in a day? would you mind if I help
    you change those hours into income by working as a marketer online in
    part-time/fulltime for between 8000-15000 per week? are you a house
    help, a student , jobless graduate or have you jast completed your KCSE
    exams? you do not need to have a CV or have any experience. if you think
    this is sensible to you then inbox your details i.e. OFFICIAL NAME,
    GMAIL ADDRESS and CURRENT PLCE OF RESIDENCE to me through
    0708126948/0716592773 and if you think it’s a joke or fun PLEASE MAY YOU
    KINDLY IGNORE…!!!!
    LIFE IS A MATTER OF CHOICE……!