Getting married: My beach wedding

Lucia Musau

Every time I watch movies, the ladies always know how they would like their weddings to be..there is this perception that we have always been dreaming about our wedding since we were little gals; maybe it does apply to some but definitely not to all! As a young Kenyan gal the first thing that you are likely to dream about is what you would like to be when you grow up, from as early as in Kindergarten you will always be asked “What would you like to be when you grow up?” and your little brain sets off wondering about careers even before you know about tiaras and princesses..no wonder while the rest of the gals were dreaming about their perfect weddings, I was dreaming about a corner office.

When I finally got that question, I had no clue the kind of wedding I wanted…I was ready to get on the net and order my bridal gown when my girlfriend stopped me, “don’t you think you should at least try fitting some gowns locally just to get the feel of it” and voila..I went for my first fitting at Village Market (Nairobi), there was only one gown my size and the moment I tried it on the wedding jitters came rushing down my spine, it was more like a revelation…there and then I knew what I wanted..both for a gown and a ceremony.

The gown had to be traditional, the ceremony small and intimate and location by the beach; with the groom in agreement the plans began! After the feeling of the first gown fitting I was set to try more and more so I proceeded to Yaya Centre and to my disappointment they had no gown my size, I remember asking whether they never have slim brides, talk about being too slim for Kenyan Standards…I was beginning to wonder whether I needed to put on weight for my wedding..so I made one last call to Joy of Lollita  Mombasa, she was abroad to bring more gowns for her shop so I proceeded to describe what I would like, of which she assured me that I would have more choices that I could handle. I cant remember how many gowns I tried but yes it was way more than I could handle and finally I had my gown and it came with all accessories; except for the shoes which I got from SA.

With a gown in hand my heart was at peace….

Lucia MusauLucia Musau

Lucia Musau Lucia Musau

Theme colors: Aqua & peach

Location: Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa

Dress: Lolitta Bridal

Brides maids dresses: Mazzie

Photography: Allan Ibutiti

49 comments

1. becky says:

hi gal…….. am bila words. u nailed it! dat is a gorgeous bride. i envy you. where was the location? may God bless you abudantly as u raise your family. kudos.

2. Susan Waithera Mwaura says:

beautiful wedding, magical site, stylish bride…good lookin groom’ adorable son and amazing weather. what more could a girl ask for………..you are living a fairy tale Mrs Blockmans…i love your blog…keep at it..you inspire girls like me..to believe that dreams do really come true.

• luciamusau says:

oh thank you Susan, like Napoleon Hill said…Cherish your visions and your dreams, as they are the children of your soul; the blueprints of your ultimate achievements

• susan waithera mwaura says:

ooh i will live by those words and cherish every single dream…something tells me i will live those dreams someday under the sun. beautiful blessed life Mr and Mrs Blockmans.

3. luciamusau says:

• susan waithera mwaura says:

4. luciamusau says:

• susan waithera mwaura says:

5. Lucy mwende says:

Beautiful wedding namesake…had a similar one but at pangoni beach resort,ours was orange cream n brown african print,it was my dream wedding.

6. Lucy mwende says: